Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 1 of 2008-2009

Welcome, students, to Interdisciplinary Seminar (IDS) 7. We are delighted you have chosen this class and look forward to learning together this year. Our primary focus will be the coordinated study of English/Language Arts and Texas history, geography, and government in depth and complexity.

Texids blog is set up to assist your learning activities in the course, particularly with the social studies component. You hopefully should be able to access Texids from home and with other computers connected to the Internet. We will also be using computer labs here at LMS on a regular basis. If you don't have home access to computers, please come see me, and I'll make arrangements to help you be able to check the blog on a regular basis.

Now I want you to copy something into the front of your notebook:

1. Bring all supplies and learning materials to IDS 7 every class day.

2. Throw away nothing from this course unless told to do so. We will organize your papers into a folder at the end of each semester. The folder will count as multiple grades.

And now, here's your first assignment. Happily it's a fairly easy one.

For Thursday, 8/28: Bring the following supplies to class. You will receive a grade for bringing the supplies. Remember to bring them with you each day of class.

***Loseleaf binder and notebook paper

***Subject dividers

***Bic (or some other brand) 4-color pen

***Highlighter pens (4 or 5)--light colors: yellow, orange, light blue, light green, pink

***Colored markers (package of 8-10 thick-nibbed ones)

***Small stapler

***Hole punch

***Post-its--2 or 3 different small pads

***Small bag to hold pens, stapler, etc.--Not necessary if you can bring them in a backpack or some such carrier

Note: If you have any difficulty in getting the supplies or if you need more time, just bring a note from home signed by a parent or guardian, and you will be given more time.

I also plan to post links to some of the learning activities we do in class. Feel free to download them to your own computers for future use. I strongly encourage you to fool around with them and improve them. I will give you Extra Credit for doing so. Get creative, people!

Here's the Six Pics activity from this first day of class. (Click on the green link.)


5 comments:

Hannah said...

First comment ever! Woo! But anyways, I'm looking forward to this year. :)

texids said...

Thanks for your comment, Hannah! I think your initiative deserves a spot of the old Extra Credit, wot? :D I'm looking forward to the year, too.

Hannah said...

Your welcome. I don't really think that extra credit is that necessary, though. I just like commenting on these types of things. It's fun.

texids said...

That's very abstemious of you. I certainly wouldn't want to force EC on you! :D Thanks for writing.

Hannah said...

Does it surprise you that I've changed my mind about the EC?