Monday, September 17, 2007

Computer Lab - Mon, 9/17


For Tue, 9/18
1. Remember: Bring primary sources about yourself on Tuesday. Read the full assignment here.

Today's Agenda for Computer Lab - We'll accomplish as much as we can.
1. Go to Texids blog. - You must have already accomplished this, if you're reading these words! :)))
2. Go to http://www.tisd.org/. Click Students/Gaggle Login Access student email. . .Use the login name and password given you in class. Answer the email from Mr. Horner.
3. Click on Preliminary Table of Contents - Semester 1 (left hand side, just below Keyboard Shortcuts). Check the Table of Contents against the papers in your binder so far. Please tell me if I've left anything out. I'll give you Extra Credit if you find something I've left out.
4. Click the Assignments label below. This is a useful tool for checking on present and past assignments.

Now we'll try and finish a couple of activities we didn't quite get to last week.

5. HOTO - Handbook of Texas Online - Click on the Handbook of Texas Online link. Do a search for the SMERFCAPS you and your partner(s) worked on. Copy and paste an article on your SMERFCAPS into a Word document.
6. Comments - Write a three-paragraph comment on the following quotation about "history." Post your comment at Texids. Use your first name. Read all the comments of the other students by Wednesday.

"The historian is a prophet looking backwards." - Schlegel, 1772-1829

Paragraph 1: What might Schlegel have meant by this quotation? Support your explanation with logic and examples.
Paragraph 2: In what ways might he be right? Give logical explanations and back them up with examples from your sixth-grade IDS World Cultures course.
Paragraph 3: In what ways might he be wrong? Give logical explanations and back them up with examples from your sixth-grade IDS World cultures course.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Schlegel means that a history repeats itself. He is saying that a historian looks to the past for information since usually, history is repetitive.

I think Schegel is right to a certain extent. You dont always have to look for the past for history. (Alhtough it is most helpful) you can look to the present or even to the future in some cases. (PARAGRAPHS 1 & 2)

Anonymous said...

By saying "The Historian is a prophet looking backwards", I think Schlegel was trying to get in lots of different meanings.

A prophet is "one who foretells future events", as definded by Merriam Webster. That is one of the meanings that Schlegel was implying. A Historian basically IS a prophet looking backwards.

Prophets helped many people know what was going to come to past, and Historian help many people by revealing what is in the past. That is what I think Schlegel meant when he said that.

Anonymous said...

I think What Shegel was trying to say is that historians are prophets looking back in history. Prophets are very respected people and have a lot of say so in what may or may not have happened.
I think he is right to a certain point. You could historians prophets because people do praise historians for finding and discovering different pieces of history and analyzing it to the extent to where people understand it.
Schegel is also wrong because when you think of a prophet u think of them being highly praised but Historians could also be people who want to study the history of different things. Not just someone who does it for a living but someone who likes history.

Anonymous said...

i think that he meant that a historian is always looking in the past like at dinosaurs bones or trying to fin out about dieseases back then that would help us figure out about the animals and sicknesses that could help or hurt us now and how that is like a phrophet looking backwards is that prophet really were like guesstimating about the future but to do that they had to look back a little bit.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you, Alex, because it is PALEONTOLOGISTS that look back at dinosaur bones... =P. I guess a paleontologist could be a historian though..........